Monday, February 7, 2011

Leukemia The Stress and Fear of Fighting Cancer


The Stress and Fear of Fighting Cancer

If you or someone you love is fighting cancer every day like me, there are some tools a cancer survivor and fighter can use.  I have been fighting cancer for over 7 years now, and this fight has taught me a lot of things that I never knew.

Here is a list of some of the things I have learned as I have walked down the journey of fighting cancer.  I hope they will help someone to fight on as I am doing and survive this horrendous disease:

1. Don't live in the past and don't worry about the future.  Live each day in day-by-day routine and fight on for just that day.

2. Get yourself family and friend support.  There is nothing more soothing that a loving word or kiss from a family member or friend.  Hugs and kisses from my children and grandchildren are the best medicine in the world.

3. Join and support a Cancer Support group.  Don't just join but be an active member in the group.  In groups such as these, you can learn what others are going through and share your pain and sorrows with members that are fighting cancer also.

4. Don't smoke and quit if you do and don't be around second hand smoke.  Smoking kills!!!! And so does second hand smoke.  If you smoke, join a support group that will help you quit today.  Don't wait.

5. Start a good nutrition program and learn how to eat healthy meals at all times.

6. If you are able, exercise daily.  Walking daily is one of the best exercises you can do for yourself.

7. Get plenty of rest so that your body and mind can heal.

8. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night.

9. Take your medicines that the doctor has prescribe at all times.

10. Start a faith journal and write something uplifting in it each day.  I have written in mine daily and I have the excerpts of it in my book, Leukemia One Woman's Battle For Survival.  There is something so uplifting in sharing your battle with the Lord and having His help in doing so everyday.

11. Learn how to manage your stress and keep it under control at all times.

12.  Educate yourself on the type of cancer you are battling, and keep up with all the newest treatments.  I am on one of the new leukemia drugs, Sprycel, and before I took it I learned all about it.

13. Don't be negative toward people who are trying to help you.  Listen to them even though you might think they are wrong and remember, they are only trying to help.

14. Always get the tests done each year to check for cancer, so that you can catch cancer early and make it easier to heal.

15. Keep a sense of humor and learn to laugh again.  Watch funny TV shows and movies and laugh until your sides hurt.

16. Tell your story about your battle against the cancer that you have and listen to others as they tell theirs.

19. Did you whole world shatter when you were told you had cancer?  You are not alone.  Get the story out there.

20. Are you really scarred now that you found out you have cancer?  So am I, but turn that energy into positive thinking and fight to win the battle over cancer.

GOOD LUCK
Lizzie

No comments:

Post a Comment